Towards 2019 – Building Stronger CANs
Friday 23 & Saturday 24 February, 2018
Novotel Sydney Central
Towards 2019 will bring together Cancer Advocacy Network (CAN) leaders from across NSW to share knowledge and develop skills needed to maintain and build successful networks in readiness for our next NSW State Election campaign.
About the workshop
Over the course of the two days, we'll cover...
- What does a strong CAN look like?
- A recipe for growing and maintaining a successful CAN.
- Facilitating inclusive CAN meetings and inclusive decision making.
- CAN leadership roles and responsibilities – supporting existing leaders and encouraging new leaders.
- Taking action that builds power AND kicks goals.
- Finding and keeping new CAN members.
- Good governance – getting the basics right in your CAN.
- The role of Cancer Council staff in supporting our CANs.
- Five things your CAN will do to grow stronger.
By the end of the two days, participants will be able to:
- Lead effective, inclusive and respectful decision making within their group.
- Consider a range of possible leadership roles and responsibilities, to support existing leaders, create new leaders and build the power of the group.
- Are clear about the purpose of their CAN.
- Consider ways of growing their CAN.
Being part of Towards 2019, also requires an ongoing commitment beyond the 2 day workshop. Participants are also asked to commit to the following:
- Work with your CAN to further develop leadership and power.
- Work with your CAN to grow membership.
- Transfer learning from workshop to your CAN.
Click here to view the 2 day workshop program.
Workshop times* & venue
Friday 23 February: 9.30am registration (for a 10.00am start) – 6.00pm (incl. evening function with light refreshments from 5.00pm)
Saturday 24 February: 9.00am – 3.15pm
Novotel Sydney Central
169-179 Thomas St, Sydney
*Times subject to change
Travel & accommodation
Confirmed participants residing outside of the Sydney metro area, are eligible for at least 1 night's, twin share accommodation* and travel to/from Sydney. Cancer Council NSW will cover the cost of all accommodation and travel to/from the event and will arrange the necessary bookings.
*Accommodation will be provided onsite at the same venue as the workshop. A limited about of single rooms available on request and will require a supplement payment.