Write to your MP
Letter writing tips
- Make the effort to use their correct name and title 👉 https://www.elections.nsw.gov.au/Elections/Find-my-electorate
- Introduce yourself, let them know you are a local constituent, and include your address.
- Be clear about what you are writing about, introduce your issue and define the problem clearly.
- Tell them why you care about the issue, share your story if its relevant. Sharing your story helps them understand and connect to the issue.
- If you don’t have a personal story to share include some facts, other people’s stories and examples to support your argument.
- Keep it brief, simple and use plain language,
- Offer solutions or recommendations, and tell them what you would like them to do for you (your ‘ask’),
- Always be polite,
- Sign the letter with your name and include your contact details, date the letter, and keep a copy.
Choose your method of communication: email or post, then SEND ✉️
Dear (Insert name of MP)
With around 1 in 2 people expected to be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime, cancer impacts every family in NSW.
It has never been more important to do more of what works to prevent, detect, and treat cancers and support people with cancer to live well.
Cancer Council NSW is standing by everyone living with cancer, protecting life’s moments, for life, and, as a community member in your electorate, I stand with them and I’m reaching out to you to join us.
Thousands of individuals living with cancer, survivors, healthcare professionals, businesses, leaders, and supporters will be including their voices leading into the next NSW State Election and it is extremely important that political parties and leaders are part of this conversation.
I believe that leadership on policies, legislation, investment, and innovation is key to accelerated progress and that only by working together, do we have a chance to create a cancer free future for everyone.
A State Election is an exciting opportunity to highlight new and current policies and actions which serve to reduce the impact of cancer across NSW. I’m interested in hearing about your priorities for improving cancer care and services, and how you can speak to important issues about cancer.
I support Cancer Council NSW who are committed to a vision of a cancer free future, for as long as it takes, and include my voice in calling on the next NSW Government to be:
- Here for improving early detection and diagnosis of bowel cancer so more lives can be saved.
- Here for increasing investment in cancer prevention so more people can live a cancer free life
- Here for introducing the highest standards of care so people with cancer receive the best possible care, no matter who they are or where they live.
- Here for supporting people to live well during and after a cancer diagnosis so they can live a higher quality of life.
Will you be Here for Change? To change the number of cancers diagnosed, to change the lives of all people affected by cancer for the better, no matter who they are or where they live.
(Include your name and contact details here)